My blog is dedicated to the exploration of industrial hemp in America including the rich history of all forms of cannabis, the evolving law and politics of hemp and marijuana, the many products made from cannabis and the capacity, real or imagined, of hemp to re-industrialize rural America and revitalize the American family farm.
Friday, March 17, 2017
Why Hemp Flour is Better Than White Bleached Flour
Hemp seed flour is a newcomer to the world of cooking. There are many reasons why this flour is making a strong presence in the dietary world, and here are just a few:
1. Hemp seed flour contains no gluten. While gluten is a great contributor to giving rise and a fluffy texture to many baked goods, it can also cause a variety of gastrointestinal symptoms. These ills have recently been found to be related to medical conditions such as celiac disease, wheat allergy, non-celiac gluten sensitivity and other autoimmune conditions.
2. Hemp flour does not use bleaching agents to speed up the flour’s aging process. One bleaching agent, chloride oxide, produces alloxan. Alloxan is a poison and causes diabetes in laboratory animals. Chlorine oxide also destroys the vital wheat germ oil, and it will shorten the flour’s shelf life and nurture insects. (Ever wonder why bugs appear in white flour?)
3. Hemp seed flour contains all 8 essential amino acids. While hemp seed is not the only plant seed that can state this claim, it is the only one that has the correct ratio in the form of globulin edestin at 65% of the protein content. What this means is that hemp seed provides a perfectly suited ratio to aid in meeting the body’s cellular need, such as DNA repair.
4. Refining methods are limited in hemp seed flour to protect nutrients. It is a known fact that refining destroys essential nutrients from foods. When white bleached flour is processed, 98% of magnesium is destroyed, 80% of iron is eliminated and all of the vitamin E is erased. Hulled hemp seed retains all fiber, magnesium, phytosterols, ascorbic acid, beta-carotene, calcium, iron, potassium, phosphorus, riboflavin, niacin and thiamin.
5. Hemp seed flour contains no unsaturated fatty acids. Plants have created the perfect container to safely store the EFAs (essential fatty acids) and protect them from light and oxygen damage. It is the seed. Life cannot flow without the light and oxygen sensitive EFAs. The antioxidants and free radical scavengers that control the oxidation rate are protected through nature’s unique balance of hemp seed.
In a world where sickness and disease appear to be running rampant, there are steps that can be taken through diet by looking to organic sources. Hemp seed flour is a perfect way to begin your regiment of living healthier and feeling better.