Sunday, May 13, 2012

Homemade Vanilla Hemp Milk


BY KATHYPATALSK

Source: babble.com

vanilla hemp milk 1 edited 1 Homemade Vanilla Hemp Milk
homemade hemp milk
You are out of milk. Not a drop. What if you had planned ahead and placed some water in the fridge to chill and had some handy dandy hemp seeds in your pantry or fridge. Five minutes later you could be drinking sweet, creamy, frothy hemp milk! I was so excited when I heard about this recipe that I had to try it for myself. I was pleasantly surprised that it worked, however there are a few drawbacks..
vanilla hemp milk 3 edited 1 Homemade Vanilla Hemp Milk
milk from seeds!
First off, you really do need a Vitamix or other brand of high speed blender. A normal low power blender probably won’t be able to pulverize the soft hemp seeds. But I have not tried it on anything other than a Vitamix – so I’m not totally sure it will not work!
Secondly, you may not like the taste. Yup, I said it. Hemp milk is an acquired taste – like anything new. And after my first sip before seasoning this stuff I was a bit turned off. But..
But the good news is that after I added in the flavor – vanilla bean, maple syrup and sea salt, the flavors perked right up and I found I could easily chug this beverage. Tip: serve ultra chilled for best flavor.
Lastly – I almost forgot the best part! Hemp milk is packed with nutrients! Hemp seeds contain hemp protein which is a complete protein since it contains all of the essential amino acids. Hemp protein is easy to digest too. So not only is this beverage blissfully dairy-free – it is incredibly nutrient dense. And to me, super yummy. Give it a try and see if you love it!
And make it even yummier:
strawberry hemp milk: add 1/2 cup fresh strawberries to the blend
chocolate hemp milk: add 1 Tbsp of cacao powder
Vanilla Bean Hemp Milk
makes about 4 cups
3 cups chilled/purified water
1/2 cup raw shelled hemp seeds, organic
1 1/2 Tbsp grade B maple syrup OR raw agave syrup
1/8 tsp cinnamon
1/2 vanilla bean, pod seeds OR 1 tsp real vanilla extract
salt to taste – at least a few pinches (I like pink salt)
ice: for ultra-chill serving (blended with ice)
Directions:
1. add all the ingredients to your blender. Blend on low to get started them move to high. Blend on a high speed until the mixture is frothy and opaque white. If it seems watery – keep blending or add a few more seeds for richer creamier milk.
2. You can drink as is – which is what I do – or for true silky milk – strain the milk through a nut bag.
3. My tip: before serving – blend with a handful of ice. This ensures that the hemp milk is served ice cold – which is the best way to taste it!
Drink your hemp milk within about 3 days. Natural settling may occur – so shake or re-blend (with ice) if needed. 


No comments:

Post a Comment